Saturday, March 25, 2023

Tell Time

CLICK HERE TO HERE AUTHOR READ


His wristwatch is the athletic kind,

heavy chrome,

thick black rubber strap,

waterproof to 100 meters,

seems like a chore to lug around.


Do you dive? I ask,

surmising the answer.


We are standing in line 

at the bank waiting for a teller

because the ATM screen says

"Temporarily Out of Order."


He looks up 

as if he'd just heard 

a bubble pop,

takes a yawning breath.


I like the style, he says.


There's a box 

of my old wristwatches

somewhere in a closed drawer. 

I'd worn them proudly.

Sporty ones and elegant ones

rectangular with gold roman numerals 

and leather bands, Japanese-made

silver ones with numberless faces 

that lock to the wrist with a snap

like handcuffs.


I think of buildings

with clocks built into them

before anyone carried 

personal timepieces

when we walked in the streets

with heads lifted,

 

and classroom clocks

moon-like and gray above 

the teacher

that made a 50-minute lesson 

feel like days, 

springtime's window slightly ajar 

chirping in the bushes,

the shrieks of friends in the yard 

at early recess,

the jealousy -


I remember learning

to tell time

that first intimation 

of my own power.


The watch doesn't actually work, he offers,

battery needs changing but

I'm too lazy,

holds up fingers

like a wilting flower

to show me

dial hands

       

motionless.


My heart pounds.


We're all just clocks, I say,

waiting for the alarm

to go off.


Next!

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Your "slice of everyday life" narrative poems, where you interact with everyday people, are among my favorites, and this one is no exception. Lots of little gems in this one, different perspectives and observations about watches, clocks, and time in general. Made me recall the big clock on the Washington Federal Bank building on Fordham Road in the Bronx, something that I literally looked up to as a small child, and of course the many classroom clocks that always painfully dragged the hours out so that they seemed much longer than an hour. And all the wristwatches I have worn in my life, like old girlfriends, entrancing for a short while, but ultimately dicarded or broken beyond fixing. Your poem evokes all of this. And the ending is superb. This is a good one!

Glen said...

Thanks Kelp. Awfully kind. Time is on my mind. Having it. Not having it. And not being certain of either.