Thursday, August 3, 2023

Flip This Boat

CLICK HERE TO HEAR THE SONG


I've never been too good

At casual conversation

About the latest name brands

Or the state of the nation


I don't know cars

I don't follow the news

But sometimes I get interested

And I'm interested in you


Let's take it to the point

There's no coming back 

We won't get very far 

If you're holding back


I'm holding my breath 

Ready to take us there  

I know it ain't easy 

When you don't come up for air


Wading in the shallows

Has never been for me

Diving to the bottom 

Is where I need to be


I’ve never felt the curse

Of strangers saying I’m great

And if sometimes I’ve had success

It always comes late


Just tell me how you feel

Tell me what you're thinking

Let's flip this boat 

And get our bodies sinking


The deeper we go

The pressure starts to build 

Try not to worry

That someone might get killed


I know it ain't romantic 

To always question why 

Or to see your lover cry


Wading in the shallows

Has never been for me

Diving to the bottom 

Is where I need to be

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

My wife was listening in while I played this. "What do you think?" I asked. "Not bad," she said. "Not bad" from my wife is a pretty good compliment.

Some pretty solid lyrics, and I like the guitar work at the end. But like my wife says, "It sounds the same throughout the whole song." You might want to consider adding a chorus or a refrain, or maybe a bridge ... something to break it up.

Next time you come to Toronto, we have to do some jamming.

Glen said...

“Not bad” sounds good to me! Definitely an unfinished idea more than a song. I was going for something like a southern juke joint type of jam, but my fingers got tired of playing the lick after a while. The repetition is meant to induce a trance of sorts. Wish I had the stamina to keep it going. We will definitely jam next time!