Friday, December 29, 2023

War In Israel

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


for KS


On a rainy day in late December

two old Jews talking

over tepid bowls of kosher chicken soup

(we are nothing if not clichés) 

my friend across the table

says he's had enough,

decided with his Canadian wife

the time had come 

to decamp permanently 

to Israel, 

says as someone born 

in the South Bronx

even after 40 years 

he's never felt completely

at home in Toronto:

And what better time to leave?

With a war going on,

a grandchild on the way,

and the elective hemorrhoid surgery

finally behind him.


I feel jealous.

And maybe it's cause 

like my dad, I was born

in Montreal and the place

has a certain strange hold on us.

There's a mural of Leonard

20-stories high on Crescent

that you can see from inside

the Musée des Beaux Arts,

the top of Mt-Royal,

or when you stumble out of a bar 

at midnight from the street

Cohen's face glowing over the sacred city

like stained glass.


A few days ago

they threw Molotov cocktails

at a synagogue door and

shots were fired at a yeshiva

because of the war in Israel.


Between slurps, my friend says,

you can't always choose your battles,

but sometimes you can choose

where to fight them.

4 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Thanks, bro! I am touched! I love it! (And I love it that the fictional version of me that you have created somehow seems more articulate and more principled than the real one is!)

I am now at work on my own poem, my own version of the meeting, soon to be posted on thelionofpoetry@squarespace.com!

Glen said...

I am looking forward to reading it!

Ken Stollon said...

This is a revised and updated version of my poem on the same ...

The Chicken Nest

Two Yids
Branded from birth
Shlepping their tzuris
Kvetching and draying
Zingers and zuggers
For three score years
They sang their songs
Each in his own
Prison of feathers
A gift of old age it was
That brought them together.

Zets mein landsman, zets!

They sit face-to-face
Heart-to-heart
In The Chicken Nest
Two old roosters,
Hen-pecked husbands
Flustered fathers
Worried brothers
Noble citizens of the world
Branded from birth
With the burdens
Of the sullied human enigma
Trying to solve the unsolvable
The stuff that makes you more meshiga.

Zets, mein landsman, zets!

This chicken soup
This cure-all, not
These noble, gentle poets won’t
Solve anything
With their writings, their whinings,
Their winnings, their whiles.
Least of all with their poetry.
Solace still they’ll find, these two,
In each other’s company.

Zets, mein landsman, zets!


B. Glen Rotchin said...

How not to love a poem that rhymes 'enigma' and 'meshiga'! Genius! Hilarious! A perfect description of our encounter. I hear the tune.