Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Far From Kiev

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


I show up

without appointment, 

"Take walk-ins?"


If you can wait 15 minutes

Anna will take you

a young man says

nodding over 

to a blonde woman

working the pink skull

of an elderly man.


I settle into hard vinyl

torn seat skin 

oozing cushion pus, 

and watch Anna

as she carefully separates 

stringy white wisps

with a comb

on the old man’s scalp

snips at strands

as if frightened to make

an irretrievable mistake.


She takes a step back

to inspect,

consider next moves,

snippets of conversation 

pierce our distance 

I try to place 

her familiar

immigrant accent.


She stares into the mirror,

her doppelgänger

pauses for ID,

then looks down 

at the man draped 

like a morgue corpse

face exposed


he isn`t talking;

she spins 

as if to confront 

an approaching stranger

(could she feel my rude 

inquisitive stare?)

switches scissors 

for a buzzing razor 

and with a click

begins a circle dance

hora of sadness 

round a chair 

bolted to the floor.


“I am from small town

near Kiev," she says,


"no one left.”


noone left


my ear is caught,

but you did Anna

you left

peripatetic

palindromic 

Anna

and before you

my grandmother left


from the czar's pogroms

to Putin's war


and here we are today

I am next in line 

waiting my turn

far from Kiev

and not so far.

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

You've added audio! -- I am cheering! It's great. Reminds me that the origin of our relationship (such as it is) was hearing you recite your poems at a zoom event for Jewish Ottawa poets, which motivated me to reach out to you (which is not something I normally do). You've got a talent for writing, but at least an equal talent for reading. This poem, "Far From Kiev," is certainly a keeper. A lovely "day in the life" mini-narrative culminating in a small epiphany ... it's a style/technique that you often use, but this one is particularly good. I can see the barber shop. I can see Anna. You've painted the scene very well. No wasted words. The technique is exquisite.

Here are a few of my favorite lines ...


I settle into hard vinyl
torn seat skin
oozing cushion pus

as she carefully separates
stringy white wisps
with a comb

snips at strands
[which is then brilliantly echoed with ...]
snippets of conversation

hora of sadness
round a chair
bolted to the floor.

Those are just the lines that stand out, but really it's a terrific poem from beginning to end. The connection between your grandmother escaping from pogroms and Anna escaping from Putin's war is poignant and timely.

Congratulations, Glen, you've really achieved something special with this one!

And I hope that you will continue with the audio component going forward.

B. Glen Rotchin said...

Kelp, I blush. Thank you my friend, for the kind words. Part of the reason I finally figured out how I can add audio to the blog (Blogger does not make it easy) was because I love the reading you do of your poems on your website. It adds so much to the experience of the poem to hear the author read. And also, there was the experience I had with Celan's Todesfugue. When I heard Celan's reading of it (on Youtube), new dimensions of meaning were added. Poetry on the page is almost like reading a sheet musical notation.

A word about this poem. It is certainly a slice of life, fashioned from real life experience. Implicit in the approach is that there is no such thing as an ordinary experience. Every moment is extraordinary. Only, we take too much for granted, we ignore and desensitize ourselves. Even the seemingly most quotidian and tedious experiences contain a rich storehouse of meanings, if we are open to them. If art has any purpose, it's to reveal the extraordinary aspect of the seemingly ordinary.