Wednesday, August 3, 2022

The Narcissist

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


I don't reflect on anything

that's not about me

the image in the mirror 

is all that I can see


the lonely snow-capped mountain

the anxious storm-tossed lake,

the calmly spoken thought

the slip-of-tongue mistake 


the determined bumblebee

the patient foxglove

the stories we've been told 

about the God above


the homeless on the street

the politician's rhetoric

the art in the museum

that appeals to my aesthetic


the news always breaking

about the wars being fought 

or terrorist attacks

that kill a lot


Instagram and Twitter

my Facebook page feed

and something else called TikTok

provide everything I need


I am what I take in

with a degree of empathy

if you call me a narcissist

I won't disagree


it’s always about me

always about me. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got some power rhymes here:
foxglove and above
rhetoric and anesthetic
empathy and disagree.

These are wonderful!

But the poem seems ironic. Of course we are all narcissists. That's a given. But your awareness and acknowledgement of all these things outside of yourself undermines your narcissm! This poem seems to be a kind of geometric proof that you are actually less of a narcissist than you claim to be!

B. Glen Rotchin said...

I've been called a narcissist more times than I'd like to admit in my life. And yeah, I guess that since it's something I struggle with, maybe it means that I'm not such a narcissist. You're right of course that we all have narcissistic tendencies, so it's more a scale than black and white. The difference seems to be that a 'malignant' narcissist (if that's the term for an extreme one) is only capable of seeing how everything and everyone around them can serve their needs. In other words it's a denial of, I'll call it the dignity and integrity, (in some respects the very 'existence') of others and everything outside of oneself. The world is merely a function of my meaning and whims. For an artist who always thinks about how they are feeling about the world around as part of their metier, and trying to express it as best they can, narcissistic tendencies must be a struggle. And yet, a great artist does the very opposite of denying the existence of the world. By their expression, they make it more dimensional and alive for us.

Ken Stollon said...

All art is narcissistic. If it weren't so, we might as well give up. What can I -- little ol' me -- add to what's already been written? The only excuse I have for attempting to write is my reliance on the idea -- which may or may not be true -- that no one has ever experienced the world exactly like me, and only I can articulate my unique experience of the world. Whether or not anyone else is interested is another story.

So, let us celebrate our narcissism! It's all we've got.