Saturday, January 7, 2023

Keeping track of slippers

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


Shoe-like,

an indoor version

not suitable for rough pavement,

weather generally,

too soft for the outside world

they keep a low profile

like a pair of house-cats.


When I happen upon them

it never fails to surprise -

as if it wasn’t me

who’d left them

by the front door

at the foot of the bed

in the kitchen or den

crouched by the wall,


am I slipping? 

have I lost my mind?


or is it more a matter of heart

the habit of forgetting

become my go-to,

my comfort zone,

prefer to think 

the plushness

that warms my toes

and soothes my soles

has a life of its own;


when I come upon them 

unexpectedly

their previous wanderings

is their private business,

like sad strangers

sitting on a street corner

looking forlorn

the ovals of their beggar mouths  

empty and dark,


and I think I might offer 

some temporary relief

by the mere act

of stepping inside them,

I can lift their spirits

with human touch, a brief 

journey accompanied.


I pause

at the end of a workday 

and ask myself

whence my humanity

where has it gone

and where will it go?

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

This is one of my top ten Rotchin poems! This utterly delightful poem does everything a poem is supposed to do: it entertains, it enlightens and it provides a fresh perspective on something that might otherwise be considered mundane. It's got some great lines, starting with the opener: "shoe-like". Hilarious! And some excellent similes: "like a pair of house cats" and "like sad strangers sitting on a street corner, etc" (also love the alliteration). And of course it taps into the human experience (we have all -- everyone one of us -- lost or misplaced our slippers) without slipping (hehe, "am I slipping?") into banality or cliche.

As good as it is, with respect, I would consider adding a bit more punctuation. A few more commas would be most welcome. This becomes apparent when listening to you read the poem.

And dare I question your grammar? What is the subject of "has a life of their own"? I know I must be misreading it, but something sounds wrong with "their" unless you're going for a gender-neutral pronoun.

And I'm not sure about the end. Is it the slippers that take you to where you've gone and where you'll go?

Glen said...

Kelp, Your thoughtful response is much appreciated, as usual. I am honoured by the attention you pay these poems. And it’s so helpful. I was also unusually pleased with how this one turned out. I have it no more or less thought than any of the other ones I write on a weekly basis. I guess the lesson is that it’s all about the practice. Eventually something good will happen. And you also hit on that glitch - I changed it a few times and it never sounded right to my ear to write ‘have lives of their own’? It’s the slippers, and my heart, my desire for comfort, which I can’t control. But it isn’t many lives, the phrase is ‘it has a life of its own’ right? I got confused.