Monday, September 4, 2023

Up To Me

CLICK HERE TO HEAR THE SONG


I read where it said

God parted the sea

So the people of Israel

Could finally be free


They wandered the desert

Wondering why

Crying out to the Lord

To give them a sign


They came to the mountain

And gave them the law

Said you have all you need

To beat down your flaws


All that I've ever

Been able to see

Is that when I get down to it 

It’s all up to me


I'm not familiar 

With divine intervention

Ain't nothing more to me

Than someone's invention


I like a nice story

As much as the next guy

It doesn't stop the hurting

Or the asking myself why


There's so much misery

And undeserved pain

I'm don't looking for nothing 

Or someone to blame 


All that I've ever

Been able to see

Is that when I get down to it 

It’s up to me. 


2 comments:

Kelp said...

You know of course that there’s a Dylan song called “Up to Me” … an outtake from his Blood on the Tracks album … but it’s very different from your song.

I like the guitar work on this song. It’s got a nice bluesy beat, and some nice stretched notes.

In terms of the lyrics, I can’t obviously embrace the message … but I respect it. In a Godless world the predictable response is despair and depression; here you have a more refreshing response (at least to me): personal responsibility. That’s cool.

Glen said...

I didn’t know that. I’m not a Dylan aficionado like yourself. I’ll check it out.