Saturday, May 6, 2023

Caught Fish

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


There is something in us 

that desires to live,

when we're young

it flip flops wildly 

wet and slippery  

like a caught fish 

in a bucket

twisting 

impatient

splashing about. 


By midlife

the desire

is more settled, 

it strives in us 

gasping visibly

pumping

sporadically

with strain and effort,

behind a strategy 

like sport,

an eye

that is game-plan 

focused.


Later

it settles down in us

and we learn how

to accept;

we understand 

that no misfortune 

endured 

is futile

and to take solace

in small victories,

love is tied

to meaning

like a stringer 

of the day's haul 

hooked to the gunnel

on the slow troll 

home.

3 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Fishing has always been a bit of a chilling experience for me, particularly holding (or trying to hold) a just-caught, flip-flopping fish, so full of life (that is already beginning to ebb away) in your hand. The journey from live fish on the line to stone dead fish on your plate is nothing short of mind-boggling. I have written several poems over the years trying to capture this experience. Your poem captures it very well, comparing it the experience of our own lives. This is a seriously harrowing poem.

Glen said...

I was raised to fish. My dad used to take us on fishing trips, salmon in the maritimes, deep sea in the Florida keys. Along with skiing it’s the activity I most associate with my father. I have a cottage on Lake Champlain and fish regularly for bass and northern pike. And yet I remain conflicted about it. It’s a bit like what soldiers say about war, equal parts thrilling and brutal. Fighting a hooked fish, as unequal as the battle is, feels like coming in contact with the natures survival instinct, the mortal drive and life force of nature itself. The art of fishing, that at core is utterly mysterious, unseen and below the surface, has a metaphorical power that’s hard to describe but is so compelling. Obviously you have a sense of what I’m talking about as you are an aficionado of the white whale.

Ken Stollon said...

There's nothing quite like that feeling of having a fish pull on your line.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how I'd react if the fish decided to take a huge bite into my leg (a la Ahab).

Next time we meet up, we can share our fishing stories. I have quite a few of them.