Saturday, June 10, 2023

Nice Things

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


I don't care much

about what people will say 

about me 

after I'm gone. 

They'll say nice things. 

They always do.

They say nice things 

about the worst people.

They say Hitler loved his pets

and had a charming way

with children. 

Wrote poetry too.

As a boy Stalin sang 

in the church choir

and wrote poetry.

They say 

he was a lover of the arts 

his whole life 

and was a voracious reader

with a curious intellect.

People who knew him personally 

said he was affable.

Pol Pot had a pleasant demeaner 

and people say they enjoyed his company.

He was self-effacing, 

soft-spoken,

and exuded warmth.

Pot had a special affinity

for French Romantic poetry

especially for Verlaine.

So, as a rule,

don't believe people

who say nice things,

they can't help it.

And if they say 

about me 

that I wrote poetry

be suspicious.

3 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Hilarious! I didn't know if I follow your convoluted logic though ... even if all of those evil guys really did write or enjoy poetry (I'm skeptical that they did), correlation doesn't imply causation. Not sure if I should be suspicious of all poets just because these guys might have written a poem or two.

And anyway, I've got lot of nice things to say about you while you're still alive. Comparing yourself to Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot ... well I beg to differ!

Glen said...

I think I was thinking about eulogies and funerals, since I’ve attended three in the last few weeks. Thinking about senseless death, mortality in general, the futility of words. Eulogy words, poetry words, nice words that people say, ‘cause they can’t help it.’ Not sure any of it makes any sense.

Ken Stollon said...

Yes, there's a kind of formula to eulogies (like there is to almost everything in life), and they all start to sound the same after awhile. Unfortunately. We're all the same schmuck, as Lenny Bruce used to say.

By the way, I picked up a nice used copy of "The Collected Poems of Atilla the Hun" in a bookstore recently ... in pristine condition.