Saturday, July 8, 2023

Wimbledon in July

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


I'm always checking the tennis scores

            these days. 

Maybe it's because

                I remember my parents

playing it for a time.


They were in their 40s

                and tennis seems to be a game

folks at mid-life like to take up

              like golf,

except unlike golf you need two

                    in tennis, it's a couples game, 

which may also be 

                why they say 'love' 

and it means you're losing.


My parents took up tennis

                        as a last ditch attempt 

to find something in common

                    after the kids had grown up.

There was a lot of back and forth

              between them, but it didn't work.

They split.

                   Now my kids are grown up.


When she was single

                    I remember mom

sitting in her bed

                        on weekends

watching tennis on TV

               a tub of Rocky Road in her lap

a big spoon in her racket hand,

                       it was Wimbledon in July, 

the manicured green,

                  players in all-white, 

Gentlemen and Ladies,

                                  royals in the stands, 

strawberries and cream,

                         the overcast dreariness 

and constant rain delays.


Mom dated quite a bit

            after dad left

but eventually gave up

                  never found her 

perfect match.


I wonder if she ever

                really thought it possible.

4 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

I like the use of tennis as a metaphor for a relationship. The visual structure of the poem, of course, also adds to the effect. Not sure if you consciously included all the sweet stuff in the poem (ice cream, strawberries and cream, etc.) ... the poem is very much bittersweet.

Consider cutting the last two lines. Ending with "match" would have been more appropriate, I think.

Glen said...

Every word in a poem is intentional of course! What it intends, is another question altogether. As for the last lines, I felt it was necessary to bring the poem back to me (like tennis, the poem is really a game between me and mom, more than mom and dad), and to add something that’s open-ended. Ending it with ‘perfect match’ I thought would have been too pat. But I’ll certainly think about it.

Rachel said...

This poem is nostalgic and bittersweet. Easy to visualize with your styling. Needs a bit of tightening; the beginning, “It’s a..” should be tightened up; possessive words are better expressed differently. You began an idea with “Now my kids are grown up” and didn’t continue the thought. The line sits there, unfinished. I like the last line, but at the same time, ending it with “perfect match” fits better. Overall, the poem pulls in the reader; personal, evocative, a relationship captured in a few lines. Good job!

Rachel said...

Visual, evocative poem. Poem pulls the reader into the situation, the entire relationship captured in a few lines with a ball bouncing back and forth, the Wimbledon whites, looking longingly at the TV set. The beginning could be tightened it; “it’s” is a bit careless. You begin a thought with “Now my kids are grown up” with no follow-through. The line hangs in the air. The last verse is good, captures the spirit and should be in the poem, but I think ending it with “perfect match” would be better; it wouldn’t be too “pat”. Bittersweet poem. Good stuff!