Friday, October 8, 2010

A final gesture of goodbye to Facebook

I mention in my post below that leaving Facebook felt a little bit like a suicide. It then occurred to me that, a final gesture was appropriate, but how and where? The answer: On Facebook of course. So I created a group called "Farewell Facebook" where people leaving Facebook can put farewell notes. Turns out I'm not the only one with the idea. Search 'farewell facebook' or variations thereof, and you will find a half dozen or more such groups. Yeah, I know, it's somewhat ironic to create a group that effectively can not have members. On the other hand, it may be the truest facebook group of them all, in a digital world where everything is ironic, where we have 'friends' that are not really friends, 'poke' without really poking, 'support causes' without really supporting causes, 'join groups' without really joining groups, and 'send gifts' without really sending anything at all.

1 comment:

David Hamburg said...

Google ' Jason Calacanis Facebook Privacy' and you'll get a ton of results. Jason hates Facebook's founder, Mark Zuckerberg, and rags on him all the time, but with reason. On the other hand, Leo Laporte, who pretty much shares the same opinion as Jason, went back to Facebook a few months after deleting it. He didn't really want to, but kind of grudgingly felt that with over 500 million users, Facebook is a must. I think I stand with Leo on this and will stay on the evil empire, at least for now...A