Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Time

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


You wait on the couch

I turn the faucet

counter clockwise

to fill the kettle

twist the stove 

dial to high

set the kettle down

the coil changes

colour 

black to orange

liquid hisses

 

I shape the filter

to a cone

fit it into the hard 

plastic holder

spoon out Folgers

one two and a half


spout steam signals 

water reaching boil

I lift the kettle tilt it

til it soaks the filter

brown grounds float

aroma releases

memory

mug fills

like an hourglass

counting

liquid rises 

I peek underneath

anxious, pour

a touch more

a touch


dregs drain

in the sink

mug warms palms

deep breath

you like yours 

dark and bitter

I like mine

dark and sweet

chest pounds

I steady myself 

for steps 

across the room


place the mug  

on the table

bend knees 

careful

not to spill

your eyes 

fixed to the page

I wonder

how long 

it will be 

until the next time 

we make love.

No comments: