Thursday, January 13, 2022

Other People's Dogs

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


Kasha, DJ, Amber,

Jayson, Gus, Tulip,

even a Rex,

I've known quite a few

but I'm not an owner.


A friend said, I see you

walking a large pure bred,

something elegant, regal

like a Borzoi.


Clearly he doesn't know me,

my impoverished

great-grandparents

who barely escaped Russian pogroms 

with their life

over a century ago.


As far as dogs go

I don't care for the trained

obedience,

the slobbering lick-my-hand

deference,


they don't love,

that's a fiction,

they're loyal

inasmuch as pack animals

can be,

they respect only 

the pecking order,


get shelter

and an easy meal

a lazy life of leisure

and in exchange

we project onto them 

our deepest 

psychological needs.

 

I prefer

other people's dogs,

cause

they're not mine, 

they're not

me. 

3 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Perhaps your feelings about dogs reveal your feelings about people? "So ... now vee may perhaps to begin, yes?"**

I think that there are a lot of poems embedded within this one. As I wrote in my previous post on the first dog poem, I think that you may have a book here!




** I was going to cite where this line comes from, but I would bet even money that you already know.

Glen said...

My feelings about everything reveal only one thing. My feelings about myself.

That line sounds so familiar. A psychiatrist... is it from a Woody Allen film? Wait, something more ominous... Marathon Man, just before he says "Is it safe?"

Ken Stollon said...

Yes. Someone mentioned to me once that Van Gogh's paintings of sunflowers are actually self-portraits.

Regarding the quote ... Woody Allen was a good guess. It's the final line from Philip Roth's "Portnoys Complaint". Heh, heh.