Thursday, February 3, 2022

Tattoo

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


for Annetta


Why isn't it enough for anyone

just to be desired?

The adopted child,

fought for, chosen,

brought home

to be loved,

never loses the feeling

that they were first 

unwanted,

it stays their whole life

in the flesh

indelibly,

like a Holocaust tattoo.


Isn't it enough to know

that your body still does it for me?

Sends chemistry coursing 

through my veins 

displacing my sense 

of space and time, 

invisible shockwaves

shaking me

awake.


As a post-script to one of our regular

misunderstandings,

I need to ask,

Isn't being desired all most people 

ever really want?

I can think of a hundred ways

they twist themselves in knots, 

risk anesthesia,

the surgeon's needle and scalpel

to be sculpted

to be stared at

like an objet d'art

(please don't touch).


You smile doubtfully,

scoff at crudeness

and immodesty, as if wanting 

to be desired were rude,

like an idiot who revs a flashy sports car 

for attention, a show-off

decked in baubles and luxury brands

so people will talk -

if you can't be the object of desire

at least own one

and maybe it'll rub off -

entire industries are built on it,

cultures too.


You're a recycler,

a lover of the well-worn, 

the previously bought, 

the lightly used,

the vintage, 

prowl the aisles for bargains

to resell, find new homes

for the unwanted,

your eye undeniable for

the gentle curve of depression glass,

rectangular Pyrex, 

etched serving plates

with the residue of family meals 

still on them, stains  

of the past baked 

into corners.


Desire is a starting point,

beneath every tattoo

a meaning.

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Although not normally a big fan of tattoos, this poem got me thinking about them. It brought to mind the movie "Memento" wherein the main character suffers from amnesia and he tattoos himself in order to remind himself of things he needs to remember. I guess a tattoo is the ultimate memory device. Then I thought about T.S. Eliot's line in "The Wasteland" about "mixing memory and desire," and your poem kind of tropes on that idea, doesn't it? And finally I am thinking about the later stage in life (that I am perhaps in myself) when desire is no longer overwhelming and overpowering, when after being stretched and weakened and numbed over the years, it is no longer the force that it once was, at which point desire itself becomes a memory.

Btw, are you familiar with the Janis Ian song "Tattoo"?

B. Glen Rotchin said...

I don't know the Janis Ian song - will definitely check it out. I wasn't thinking about the connection about memory per se but more about desire, which is visceral. It's not really memory in the sense of a phenomena of the mind, but rather chemistry, more like an imprint, ink in the flesh, as it were. But as you mention it, yes I guess there is something wistful about the poem's tone, which I hadn't considered. Not a looking back at waning desire, just the opposite, in fact, the way that wanting to be desired stays with us, it's 'all everybody ever really wants' (to be wanted, sexually or otherwise.) So I'd say that it remains a potent force all our lives, just transformed.