Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The Collar Bomb

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


I was forced to wear 

the collar bomb

welded steel 

manacle strapped 

around my neck

quadruple locked

the device

sits on my chest

timer ticking 

like a heartbeat

it's crazy-making 

that sound, the ticking

constant reminder

that it may explode

at any second  

tear a hole 

through my body.


I don't know how 

it got there 

but I know

there is no choice.


I have instructions

to find the keys

like a scavenger hunt

place to place

to find the next clue

and the next clue

to eventually find a key

so don't judge me

when you see me

wandering around 

looking for answers

confused

muttering to myself

like I'm cuckoo

maybe yelling at God

on the sidewalk, or in the park 

peeking under rocks 

or in the hollows of trees,

I'm not lost

I'm searching 

for a clue leading

to a clue leading

hopefully to a key

to unlock 

the collar bomb.


I do what I can

to hide it

under my shirt

the collar bomb

don't want to spook

folks in the grocery line

or at the convenience store

and especially not

at the bank where

they might get 

the wrong idea.


Not a day goes by

when I don't expect

to be surrounded 

in the street

by cops

sirens and red lights

blaring, guns drawn

yelling, "On your knees!"

"Hands in the air!"

and I will plead to them

it wasn't me

who put the bomb there

and I will do 

exactly as I'm told

no false moves

and like a monk

protesting a war

I will drop 

to the ground

and pray.

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

This poem is very cool. Seriously, this is the kind of poem I wish I had written. Built around a single, inventive but surreal metaphor that could symbolize so many things ... life, death, art, poetry, self-knowledge, search for meaning, search for God, etc. Reminds me of Kafka's Hunger Artist.

I love the beat, and I love all the rhymes, near-rhymes and same-word-rhymes.

The one line I don't like is: "they're like a scavenger hunt". It has too many beats, and it's unclear whether you are referring to the instructions or the keys. Maybe if you just dropped "they're" and kept the rest of the line.

I thought monks protesting wars self-immolated??

B. Glen Rotchin said...

Thanks Kelp, your suggestion on that edit is taken. I had the same feeling.

Isn't exploding in public sort of the same as self-immolation?