Monday, June 20, 2022

Father's Day

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


We Jews don't celebrate it

because the Bible says

as number 5

on its top 10 list 

honour thy father...

so in theory every day 

should be father's day

but of course 

we fall short

so I'm all for a reminder

once a year 

and I have to admit

I enjoyed 

the special breakfast -

Pillsbury cinnamon rolls

hot from the oven

frosted with gooey icing

and fresh strawberries

cut into shapes and arranged 

on the plate to say

"We love you dad"

in sweet red

plus my daughters 

let me explain

to them the meaning 

of my favourite

Bruce Springsteen song

which they know well

because I blasted it

every morning for years

on the way to school

about the confusions of love

using a carnival metaphor

a house of mirrors

'showing us both in 5D'

and I asked them if

after all they've witnessed

in our home

they still believed in marriage

and to my astonishment

they said yes because 

when the ride was over

mother and I 

always laughed.

3 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

With the right ingredients -- food (for sure), a bit of ritual, family togetherness and kindly sentiments -- a secular holiday can be transformed into something sacred. Sounds like you had a blast! Even just having the opportunity to share your thoughts on "Tunnel of love" must have been gratifying.

By contrast, my kids, who are both out of the house, tend to play down rather play up Father's Day. They send me gifs. Not gifts, but gifs. Anyway, I am happy to receive their gifs.

On the topic of things that are sacred, here's a recent poem I wrote ... a heavier companion to your light-hearted poem.


My secret religion

I do not worship tree sprites
When I embrace this tree.
I plant myself on fertile earth,
The tree envelops me.

And what is worship anyway?
I cannot fathom this.

The candle burns, what spirit
Gambols in the apex
Of the flame that points and doesn’t
To the points we least expect?

What if this incense within us
Leaves no lasting fragrance?

I repeat these holy words,
Until there’s no until.
What counts, perhaps, is not the act,
Save the flawed rehearsal.

And what if all intention is
The unintended consequence?

So look for me among the
Dryads, in the dancing eye,
Where words dissolve like powder,
Like the I into the I.

If my questions go unanswered
I will praise Thee nonetheless.

B. Glen Rotchin said...

Kelp, now this one is quite exceptional in craft and depth. Worthy of multiple readings. The unexpected rhymes in the two line verses, I don't think I've seen that before, echoing the 'unexpected' meaning. 'What if this incense within us/ Leaves no lasting fragrance?' Heartbreaking. And 'I repeat these holy words, / Until there's no until'. And the final words, reminiscent of Psalm 145. Really lovely. Yasher koach!

Ken Stollon said...

Thanks, B. Glen! I can always count on you to "chop" what I am endeavoring to achieve! And yes, yes, I have recited "Ashrei" so many times in my life that I am sure it has somehow insinuated it's way into this poem and probably lots of other ones that I've written ... good call.