Monday, June 6, 2022

Pink Elephant

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


She told me

she was dying

said it was so sad

no words no poem

could express

how it felt

and of course

my mind conjured

words because that’s 

what always happens

it's all I have

like when you say

try not to imagine

a pink elephant

and of course - 

and then she said

if I could I’d come back

as a cat

and I’d lie around 

all day and do nothing

because life is too hard

too sad

and cats don’t care

and as she spoke

my mind

was taken up 

by a pink elephant

and what they say 

about elephants

and writing a poem

no room there

for dying

or goodbye

or anything like

sadness. 

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Your poem evokes a deep feeling of sorrow. And the idea of trying not to think about the inevitable when it so large and looming that it is impossible not to think about it. In my search for a companion poem, I present you with a poem I wrote over two decades ago, which tries to confront the impossible struggle to deny death through poetry.

Death Be Not Proud

This poem
is about a poem
about a poem.
All three poems
are about death.

A poet wrote a poem
about a poet
who wrote a poem
about death.

As I write this
I am currently alive,
as is the poet;
but the poet
that the poet
wrote about —
that poet is not alive;
he is dead.

All three poets
thought that
by writing a poem
about death
he could somehow
overcome death
(or at least his own death).

I think of William Shakespeare,
another poet,
so sure of his mortality
and of his immortality,
so long as men can breathe
or eyes can see.
And then of Woody Allen,
not a poet,
who said:
“I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve it by not dying.”

I thought
by being once removed
from the poet
that was already once removed
I could somehow be
further removed
from death.

Like in a room
of mirrors
when the reflection
of the reflection
of the reflection
appears to be only a reflection.

O dear reader I wish it were true.
(But you too, but you too.)

Glen said...

The mirror within a mirror within a mirror image is so perfect, echoing a poem within a poem within a poem, but also the sense of looking backward (to Shakespeare) and seeing a kind of eternity in the image of a poet, a mythical figure become iconography, and by that immortal.