Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Requirement of Love

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


This hazy mid-July

afternoon by the lake

I am sitting on my porch

watching a lone

orange and black monarch

dart back and forth

back and forth across the lawn

I can’t think of anything

in nature that looks

more futile and mad as

this butterfly’s flight

the frenzied zigzagging 

reaching altitude and 

dropping in an instant 

papery oversized wings

and spindly body batting

spasmodically

against unpredictable

currents circling 

in jagged flapping 

up and down patterns

a game of snakes and ladders

going nowhere;

After some frantic time

it finally comes to rest

on the broken branch

of a dead leafless 

ash tree wings slowly

inflating/deflating

like wasted heaving lungs.

The sun slips behind

distant blue-green mountains,

I am thinking 

of a conversation we had

one time when we

hiked those switchback 

ascending trails and you

leading with me behind 

said, we have no choice

we have to live

with it now, live

with what you said

with what I said 

there’s no going back

it’s the requirement of love

and just then 

the monarch lifted off

as if to provide 

royal assent

for our decision

to keep trying. 

3 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Nice description of the movements of the butterfly, which later take on extra significance in light of the human relationship and the difficult decision they have to make. The switchbacks in the mountains is also a subtle echo of the same wavering as expressed by jagged movements.

The only line I don't like is the one about "snakes and ladders". You broke the spell of the butterfly with an all too human game reference. But, on the other hand, now that I think about it, the snakes and ladders, like the butterfly, like the switchback, like the couple, also present a jagged visual. I just found it jarring on the first reading ... which, again, is perhaps what you were going for.

In terms of a companion poem, I am shocked to discover that even though I think of myself as a worshipper of Nature, I have written very little in terms of Nature poetry. I guess I have always felt like it's been done already so well by the Romantics and as well by more modern poets like Mary Oliver (whom I mostly like, but sometimes find heavy-handed).

So, I am working on a Nature poem ... it's coming. I have a few ideas.

Ken Stollon said...

So this is 100% inspired by your poem. You got me thinking about butterflies, and I was trying to imagine a child's first experiences and first impressions. Anyway, here's what I came up with ... you are welcome to make changes or suggestions if you like since it's after all kind of your poem too.

Butterfly

The smallest of children understands,
She doesn’t need the words.
She knows.

Before she tries to describe it,
She knows what it is,
Before she has a word for it,
She knows.

The creature works with flowers,
And is dressed appropriately.
The creature dances and dangles in mid-air.
She knows.

The child wants to touch it,
To feel it alive in her hands.
She holds it in her hands for an astonishing instant,
But the colored scales rub off like powder
And she knows she has done something wrong.
She knows.

She will not easily forget this feeling.
No.

From that moment onward, she will know
That these creatures have their own place.

That place with no walls, no doors,
No ceilings, no floors.

B. Glen Rotchin said...

Lovely poem, Kelp. Very resonant on multiple levels. That repetition of 'she knows' and then echoed with 'No' and the rhymes at the end, with the repeated 'O' sounds, the 'O' of awe, and the "O" of zero, of ignorance (of bliss?). All of it got me thinking about what we know and don't know, intutively, what that first 'No' as a child from a parent (or other authority figure) might do to our sense of intuitive knowing, the doubt and self-consciousness it creates in us, something that becomes indelible for the rest of our lives. And of course there are the biblical echoes of Eden and the Fall, banishment from the garden. Lovely.