Saturday, October 8, 2022

It Means

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


It means 

something 

but I'm not sure 

something else

something

our thoughts 

connect

I'm sitting on the couch

seeing you 

through the doorframe

on your computer

at the kitchen table

your concentrated face haloed

by the screen's soft electric light

and melamine

it means something

is it love

whatever that means

is it

a memory

a scene from a painting

by Vermeer

the layers

associations

the veneer

it means something

the world

is a room of clues

representations

for words for feelings

or incidental rhymes

of mind or

it just is

like two bodies 

orbiting 

and the moving tide

the sea

see

I get it

nothing lasts.

3 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

The power of a single moment, the power of a single lasting image of someone you love ...

I'm reminded of a Woody Allen movie -- it might be Stardust Memories -- where he has a similar sentiment while watching his lover unbeknownst to her.

Glen said...

I remember that scene from Stardust Memories. Marielle Hemingway. So many touching, and at the same time creepy, aspects about that movie. Isn’t there also an e.e. cummings poem in that movie? Coincidentally (I wrote the poem before) this week I saw a fascinating documentary called Jim’s Vermeer on Netflix. Highly recommended if you haven’t seen it.

B. Glen Rotchin said...

But my other question, and really why I wrote the poem, is why does one thing always have to mean, or represent, or refer to something else? Is it the nature of consciousness to make connections? I mean do animals make connections? Why are we incapable of accepting things 'as is'? Is that even possible? Is the sense that everything is connected, in one way or another, the universal truth ie. the ultimate meaning. Even a single moment, is actually a lifetime.