Friday, October 14, 2022

October

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


For Arleen z"l


I remember

that mid-August day 

we climbed up from the road

and you said you liked this spot

because of the view,

the sun behind us

cast flickering veils of light

across the slopes of Mt. Royal, 

the green grass shimmered

like curtain velvet,

and the grey gravestones 

lit-up in uniform rows

like seats at a theatre -


you said this way

you'll come to visit 

once in a while,

and you were right

especially in October

when the trees are dancing

their burlesque,

a breezy yellow, orange, 

and red striptease 

(did you know already 

that you would be gone on the 18th?)

you loved stories

with a dramatic 

denouement,

and to laugh

before punch lines;


I still have the photos 

from that day showing you

posing on your just-bought plot,

looking too skinny,

like a fashion model

because they think 

the camera

adds ten pounds.

We joked around,

had no idea the weight

of the moment

when the shutter snapped.

I have regrets:


I wasn't attentive enough.

One always attends

to the place that hurts

the most, so these days

I come back often,

the view helps,

leave a rock.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen, you are so cool.... this brought a tear. You were a great son. Xxoo

Ken Stollon said...

A very sad and moving poem, my friend.

Also many delightful lines that surprise in a good way ...

"and the grey gravestones

lit-up in uniform rows

like seats at a theatre"

And the autumn trees shedding their leaves like burlesque dancers ... brilliant!

Also the ending, the rock on the gravestone, grounds the experience in more ways than one.

Who was Arleen, if I can ask?

Glen said...

Thanks Kelp. My mom. Passed away five years ago today. My mom was a tall flamboyant type, loved fashion when in public wore bright clothes that made a noticeable statement. People would see her on the street and take note of the woman wearing the long shiny fire engine red raincoat, which is sort iconic to us. My teenage daughter loves wearing the clothes she inherited from her granny, if you can believe that. She was youthful in spirit (and fashion) right up to the day she died rather unexpectedly.

Annetta said...

Beautiful.

Ken Stollon said...

I thought it might be your mom. You've captured her spirit. And a beautiful shared moment in time.

Woods and Music said...

Glen, this is such a beautiful tribute to Arleen. It was only a few months before her passing that Molly and I had the good fortune to reconnect with my cousin Arleen after so many years. The four of us sat at our favorite deli in Montreal to catch up on over 40 tears of family recollections as well as some untold stories and some hard truths about family members. Significantly enough, I had just visited my mother Pearl, a favorite aunt of Arleen's, which turned out to be the last time I would see my own mother alive. Arleen was very much how I remembered her in those 3 hours or so together. Animated and with her usual wit and biting humour. I will never forget that meeting we had in Montreal in June and that goodbye hug from my tall cousin.
Bob Ungar

Glen said...

Thank you Bob. I remember that lunch together so well and so fondly. I felt so lucky to be a part of it.