Sunday, December 18, 2022

An idea that takes getting used to

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


An idea that takes getting used to:

Your firstborn daughter 

gets married.


She flashes the gold ring

and suddenly the tiny hand

you clutched so tightly at the park

as she slid down the slide

or swung on the swing

no longer looks familiar.


You stood by 

as she went from hardly making decisions 

to making most decisions,

some good, some bad,

some with more head than heart

and vice versa

and you always felt part 

of that back and forth


like a clock's pendulum

as her days ticked forward


there were decisions 

you scrutinized 

looking for signs of character

or lack of it, 

decisions you judged 

in your head, tongue held,

and others you couldn't hold back on


but not this one,

the only one that truly matters, 

with a gravity

that will make it stick

hopefully 


the choice of a lifelong partner. 


Now you're on the sidelines

a bystander


and it occurs to you 

for the first time 

she's always been her own person,

she never belonged to you,

all you ever really had

were memories, expectations 

and hopes;


One line follows the next

with an end rhyme

or without one,

there's a rhythm to it


a sense 

you're trying to catch


and you feel alone 

you don't get it 

like one

who learned in school

how to hate poetry.

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Very touching poem! I have a companion poem for you! It's a poem I wrote several years ago. Interestingly, the common word in both your poem and my poem is "gravity"! Here's my poem to complement yours ...

For his daughter

My minnow, my minnow,
You swam in the ocean
Of non-specific love.
Like any father, I was there for a bit,
Swimming alongside you,
Making sure, just making sure.

But now I find you
In a fishbowl of specificities.
You have your tastes and your opinions.
A political leaning.
A point of view.
A way that you move through the daily onslaught of people with their elbows and knees,
Upturned noses and downcast eyes.
Losing patience, losing trust.

Did I say “fishbowl”?
That was inaccurate
And perhaps a bit cruel.
I apologize.
Your world, I imagine, is
More like a pond than a fishbowl.
Deep and murky at the bottom,
But teeming with life.
And you: flashing and rippling,
With a strong dorsal fin,
Moving with and moving against
The gravity of the liquid.

And I?
I’m a big old fish
With many scars from hooks and barbs,
And bruised and missing scales.
A survivor, but
I won’t survive for too long
In your pond.
Or any pond.
I would like to swim in it sometimes though
If you will allow me to.
Swim alongside you for a bit.


Glen said...

From an ocean of ‘non-specific love’ to a ‘fishbowl of specificities’, what strange provocative phrasing. It’s more like the world around her is closing in, and less like she’s making the choices. And then you take it back, make it a pond teeming with life and dark depths. That’s your anxiety coming out I think. And there’s another similarity besides gravity, your daughter’s ‘flashing’, signifying her independence, her movement away, and my daughter’s ‘flash’ of gold ring indicating the same. And both poems seem to end with a certain sense of regret.