Monday, August 5, 2024

The Weight of Medals

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


In the Middle-East

where games are played 

with bombs and bullets

a missile turns a soccer field

into a mass grave

for children.


A continent away

in the City of Lights

games are played 

with pistols, bows and arrows,

hammers, javelins and shot, 

epee, foil and sabre,

weapons of war 

from another time. 


On TV

I am watching a compatriot

step up on a podium

to accept her medal

for swimming

something called the Butterfly -

the anthem is played

as the flag is raised.


On another channel

I see a prisoner swap 

between America and Putin's Russia;

I knew my country would never abandon me

says the journalist

in the arms

of his mom and dad.

I knew my country would never abandon me 

says the trained-assassin

his chest pinned

with the hero's medal.


No comments: