Saturday, July 25, 2026

Turning Pro

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


Twelve

and best friends, 

we both saved 

our weekly allowance

to buy magic tricks.


You'd bring a catalogue

from the local magic shop to school,

and at lunch hour 

we'd peruse the pages together;

the sleight-of-hand effects,

coin routines and gimmicked decks,

jugs that never stopped pouring,

boxes with false bottoms,

Houdini escapes.


Those days,

my parents were always fighting 

behind locked doors.


Yours had split years before.


The week you got your license

your father bought you a Tercel—

an orange tin can.

We drove around the city late at night,

stuffed ourselves with steamies and fries

at the local greasy spoon

and talked.


You loved a girl from school, 

didn't reveal the secret.

She wanted you as a friend.

You hoped

for someday.


I slept with her

when you were away at college.

Told myself 

she wasn't yours to lose.

We tried to hide it—

used misdirection.


When you came home

you didn't leave your bed for months

or answer the phone.

A vanishing act

behind closed curtains.


Then one day

you appeared

in your shit-box car.

We went driving.

I thought we'd talk about our futures

like old times.


"I'm going to turn pro," you said.

"Turn pro at what?"

"Tennis. I'm going to be a tennis pro."

"But you don't play tennis,"

I said.


"I've seen Borg,

I can beat him."


“That’d be quite a trick,”

is all I said.

No comments: