Friday, May 6, 2022

there are some words



there are some words
once you read them
they mean so much
they must be committed to memory
and recited aloud
some songs that reach so deep
into your soul they must be sung
it's not that you need to possess them
but that they possess you
and so when I taste the apple
experience the sweet juice
and tart flesh on my tongue
expose the mahogany seed
nestled at the core
I think how clever
of the fruit to tempt me
with its lush colour
entice me with its sweet smell
perfect package
so that I or some other creature
may swallow the seeds
and through digestion
deposit them in freshly fertilized soil
to procreate into forests of fruit
and I think of the first time I saw you
in the lobby of the repertory theatre
after the show
you were holding another man's hand
but like a ripe fruit on the cusp
of unclasping from a branch
I could smell in the air
the unspoken inevitability
of our love
and wonder if you remember that day
the same way
I do.





1 comment:

Ken Stollon said...

Memorable lines from poems or song lyrics .. yeah, they're kind of luscious like fruits, exciting us, becoming a part us, and ultimately inspiring us to sow our own seeds, make our own fruits.

But then, at the end, this poem morphed into a love poem! That initial tantalizing love/lust that hits your senses like a luscious fruit, like a beautiful line of poetry ... yeah!