Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Original

CLICK HERE TO HEAR AUTHOR READ


I'm thinking about the unlikelihood of life,

yours, mine, anyones, 

looking at the latest gossamer images 

of spidery spinning galaxies

from the James Webb Space Telescope

light traveling 13 billion years 

to my eyes

and mind;

the further we see into the past

the less we understand

about how we emerged 

out of this cocoon of inanimate 

cosmos.


Both my father and mother are dead now.

It's as if they never existed.

I have some photos

of them

light exposed on film

chemically set to glossy paper

making patterns,

and of course as further proof

of their existence 

there's me

and neural sparks 

of memory.


I am original.

Me and my consciousness 

like an ocean boat 

cutting a wake 

from one island in time  

to the distant next


awake

soon to disappear.

2 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Far be it for me to proselytize ... but for me, feelings like this ultimately lead me to God and/or thoughts about God. Not that it's easy to believe in God -- of course it isn't! And religion (especially Judaism!) often -- I mean very often -- misses the forest for the trees ... but if you buy into it, and you allow it to influence the way that you see the world, it can, sometimes, bring some cold comfort.

Glen said...

I guess I find it curious that we should have to ‘buy into’ a notion as important as a Creator. When I was growing up I used to tell my mother (because she, and not my father, seemed to care about my musings), that I felt like I was adopted by this family, or even dropped from the sky. I suppose because to me our family felt cold and emotionally removed. It was hard for me to believe that I belonged. It took a long time for me to be convinced that I was in fact born to my parents. And as I’ve gotten older, and see how physically similar I am to them in their middle years, that sense of belonging has gotten stronger. But that sense of alienation that I felt as a child remains. And it’s probably why after attending synagogue regularly for more than 15 years I could never muster a heartfelt belief in a Creator.