Thursday, July 30, 2026

Digesting Ideas

You know those foods you enjoy so much while you're eating them, only to regret them later when your digestive system starts protesting?

As I get older, that list seems to grow longer. But I'm not writing about my current dietary challenges.

I'm writing because ideas can work the same way. Some go down so easily when you first hear them that they feel undeniably true. Then, given a little time to digest them, you realize they don't make nearly as much sense as they first appeared to.

Often, it's all in the delivery.

Yuval Noah Harari is a master communicator. He expresses himself clearly, concisely and compellingly. He has a remarkable gift for making something fairly obvious—for example, that human beings are storytelling animals—feel profound and revelatory. I suspect that's a large part of why his books have been so successful and why he's become such a fixture on the podcast circuit.

Lately, though, I've found myself growing skeptical of some of his most appealing ideas—the ones that go down easiest at first. I've started taking more time to reflect on what he's actually saying.

That happened recently while listening to his interview with Ezra Klein on The New York Times podcast.

The moment that stuck with me was Harari's comparison between religion and liberalism. Paraphrasing, he argued that religion promises redemption, whether in this life or the next, whereas liberalism does not. Liberalism, he said, accepts that human beings are inherently flawed and that conflict, tension and mistakes are permanent features of society. Rather than seeking redemption, liberalism invests in mechanisms that allow societies to correct themselves. Elections, he suggested, are one of the clearest examples of a 'self-correcting' mechanism.

It's an attractive argument. Liberalism sounds humble, realistic and practical. It doesn't promise perfection; it simply promises a way of correcting mistakes.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the argument was built on a series of false or mischaracterized understandings.

The first problem is that it compares two fundamentally different kinds of things.

Liberalism is primarily a political philosophy. It concerns itself with how societies should organize power, rights and institutions. Religion, by contrast, is principally concerned with questions of meaning, morality and humanity's relationship to the divine. Certainly, religions contain laws governing communal life—Judaism, for example, has extensive legal traditions covering everything from commerce to civil disputes—but even those laws are ultimately understood as serving the spiritual development of individuals and communities.

In Judaism, tradition identifies 613 commandments in the Torah, yet more than a third relate specifically to Temple worship in Jerusalem. Since the destruction of the Second Temple, only around half remain practically applicable. That alone illustrates that religion has never simply been a political system.

Liberalism and religious identity are not mutually exclusive, quite the opposite.

Someone can quite comfortably describe themselves as both a liberal and a Jew, or a liberal and a Christian. I certainly describe myself as a liberal Jew, and I suspect Harari would as well. Liberalism, properly understood, accommodates people of many different religious convictions precisely because it operates in a different sphere.

Second, Harari's understanding of redemption, at least the way he is using it here, is incorrect.

He seems to treat redemption as if it means arriving at perfection. But that's not how most religious traditions understand it. For practicing believers, redemption is not a final state of flawless existence. It is the ongoing work of self-examination, repentance, learning and moral growth. In other words, redemption is itself a self-correcting process.

My third objection is to describe elections as "self-correcting."

Elections don't inherently correct anything. They simply measure the preferences of a population at a particular moment in time. Sometimes those preferences lead to better outcomes; sometimes they don't. Elections provide peaceful accountability and adaptability, which are enormous strengths, but calling them "self-correcting" gives them more credit than they deserve. They are mechanisms for expressing collective will, certainly not guarantees of progress.

Harari, like every public intellectual, approaches the world with his own assumptions and preferences. As someone who has often criticized traditional religious authority, it's hardly surprising that he's drawn to philosophies that maximize individual freedom and remain skeptical of inherited dogma.

The rest of us have our own biases too. I certainly have mine.

What concerns me is how easily we can be seduced by attractive rhetoric at the expense of logic and coherence. There's something larger at stake than whether one agrees with Harari about liberalism or religion. It's the habit of intellectual honesty—the willingness to examine arguments carefully, even when they flatter our instincts or confirm our existing beliefs.

In an age of information silos and algorithmically curated worldviews, we all have reason to cultivate a healthy skepticism—not cynicism, but the discipline of questioning ideas before embracing them.

The ideas we consume deserve the same scrutiny as the food we eat. Some are nourishing. Some simply taste good in the moment.

It's worth taking the time to digest them before deciding whether they're actually good for us.

7 comments:

Ken Stollon said...

Bravo! I, too, was quite taken with Harari's first book, and even his second book (but less so), but by his third book, I was repulsed by his apparent sincerity and "search for truth," which was really a thinly disguised pre-determined agenda. I wrote a poem about him called "You Ruined Everything" (it's on my site). I am no longer a fan, to say the least.

Glen said...

I think as he has achieved fame and notoriety he’s felt a certain responsibility to air publicly his political views. Perhaps that’s why you are perceiving it in his books as well. I read the first two books. But then I started perceiving that his ideas were not actually as profound as they seem. The more I chewed on them the less nourishing they felt. This process has continued the more I heard him. And once that happens you can’t see or hear him the same way again. I will check out your poem.

B. Glen Rotchin said...

In your poem I would have never guessed that Yuval is the Know-it-all. Seems to be a poem about humility, or rather lack of it. You certainly Harari when you say the Know-It-All's favourite letter is "I". And I love it when you say the Know-Nothing knows something it's just nothing. So funny and clever. A conundrum. Like that sentence: "This sentence is false." If it's actually false then it's true. But if it's true then it isn't false.

B. Glen Rotchin said...

Also reminds me that that the least knowledgeable people are usually the ones who have the most certainty in their answers.

David Griffin said...


Glen, I luckily read this post as I close out a semester working with a very interesting and vexing grad student. This person is in his 50s, is a Korean immigrant to Canada, and has spent his life doing manual labour and long-haul trucking. He has always also been a (very skilled) photographer and it turns out is a very interesting mind, very concerned with his relationship with God, and the place of his artistic output in the *Kingdom of God,* complicated by a good deal of misanthropy.
He says he is angry with god and with everybody else, while I insist that is less true than he thinks. You cannot make art (or music) without hope - he is intrinsically an optimist in spite of his scorn for regular folks, and he needs to admit it! So both of his obsessions can help him if he just releases himself, I say, from his anger.

At our last meeting he asked me if I am a utopian, and I told him not at all, that utopia seems like a totalitarian idea — unpleasant in my opinion, to the max. I prefer the chaotic ups and downs of the interactions of minds of all types — political, non-political, fabulists and pragmatists. I am one of those who would trust the opinions of 400 random names from the phone book rather than the will of some educated political class. I am definitely a classic liberal, but my interactions with this student have made me think about things more than anyone else I have worked with in years. I suspect he appreciates our talks but he sometimes gives away that he thinks I am a bit of a dum-dum.

Glen said...

Thanks for sharing your experience David. Seems to me that being angry at god is a pretty safe of being angry. The issue isn’t god it’s anger. And anger always seemed to me to be the flip side of disappointment, sadness, hurt. An outward directed emotion so you don’t have to sit with it inside. Angry people are in pain. At least your student seems to be channeling into his art, which as you point out, is a hopeful act. Maybe someone will benefit from his expression and be changed in some positive way.

I completely agree with your assessment of Utopianism. It’s destructive. Anti Democratic. Nazism, and Maoism, and Marxism are utopian. The most destructive and intolerant political ideologies of history.

What about religions? I don’t think there is anything inherently utopian in western theology. As long as ‘free will’ is central it seems to me mitigate against totalitarian tendencies. Organized religion is where it becomes more problematic of course. Where there is a power structure. When I think of ‘Utopianism’ I think in terms of forced conformity. It’s more ideological and political than theological and spiritual.

I agree about learning from interactions with students. Of course not being an academic it’s my weekly sessions with my Lubavitch crew that gives me a taste of that. This week we talked about how psychological conditioning determines perceptions of reality. We literally stop seeing things, they don’t exist for us, when we are conditioned to believe they don’t exist, and vice versa. Which brings me back to the essential role of the artist. If they have a mission, it’s that that artist helps us to see things in new and more open ways.

Glen said...

I’ve just seen The Iceman Cometh. It seems pertinent.